Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Peca Close?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2007/08/15/2007-08-15_peca_rangers_nearing_a_deal.html

Although TSN, the NY Post, and NY Newsday are all running stories of Peca's imminent signing, it looks like John Dellapina at the NY Daily News got the biggest scoop. Apparently Michael Peca has already met the Rangers training staff for a physical, as well as chatted with Ranger's brass about this role on the team.
"I think it went as well as can be expected," Peca said of a two-day visit that included tests on the right leg that was fractured and surgically repaired last December and conversations with team officials, including assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld.

Peca also had some candid comments about his interest in playing for the Rangers, his contract, and the state of his surgically repaired leg.

"How can one not want to play there?" the former Islanders captain said. "Obviously, over the last few years they've added some players that can contribute to a pretty good squad. I think anybody on the outside would look at that situation and hope there's a fit."

Peca's edgy, defense-first game seems to fit on a Rangers roster suddenly loaded with talent at center. "It does," he said. "And I know I'm not going to hurt them as far as the salary cap."

Peca is similarly confident that his leg, broken in a collision with Chicago's Jim Vandermeer last Dec. 22, is sufficiently healed. "It's a non-issue," he said. "I've been skating for the better part of 2-1/2 months now. My speed and anything I can do on the ice is where I want it."

Peca's agent Don Meehan acknowledged his client's presence at the Rangers facility and added more about contract negotiations.

"I sense they've made the decision that they'd like to have him," agent Don Meehan said. "The first steps were the physical and discussions with the coaches, which he had.

Then, finally our discussion regarding a contract. "I don't expect we'd have a major issue in that regard. I thought the first two steps were more significant."

On a side note... what a fantastic job by John Dellapina in getting the entire story. I don't think there are any more questions to ask anyone, except the Rangers themselves and they always deny everything.

No comments: